Finding mold growing in your home is one of life’s less pleasant experiences. An important rule of thumb to remember for preventing mold problems is to take care of any water intrusion immediately, before it has a chance to turn into a mold problem. Serious water damage can lead to structural damage to your home if it is not dealt with in the proper way.
If you already suspect mold growing in your home, you may be envisioning costly remediation. There are some options homeowners can try before picking up the phone to call a professional.
Find the Source of Your Moisture Problem and Fix It
First, it is important to discover the source of the mold. Mold growth is always caused by some type of excess moisture. The experts from Quick-Dry Flood Services recommend you must first stop the water intrusion or moisture problem and repair or seal the area to prevent water from coming back. Common sources of water issues include damaged roofing, leaky pipes or drains, cracked tiles or grout in bathrooms, air conditioning leaks, and even hardwood floors.
Remove all Moldy Materials
After determining the source of the water, all building materials damaged by mold beyond the surface must be removed. Always wear protective clothing, mask, and gloves when handling mold. Contain the area the best you can during the process. Plastic tarps and duct tape are useful.
Surface mold may be removed by cleaning with diluted Simple Green, or plain white vinegar. Both are all natural, non-toxic cleaners that kill mold spores effectively. After removing all moldy materials from an area, also wipe down the room’s surfaces, including the walls, with Simple Green or vinegar to kill any remaining mold spores.
Check Humidity Conditions
If you cannot determine a source of water damage, but you see mold growing on the surfaces of your home, you may have high humidity in your home or room. In this case, try a dehumidifier after you clean the surfaces as described above. This will help prevent the mold from continuing or coming back.
Get Rid of any Lingering Odors
If you find an odor remains in the home after mold removal or thorough cleaning you can try setting out bowls of vinegar in the area. Vinegar is great at absorbing lingering odors. If you still need a stronger remedy for the smell, you can rent an ozone machine and run it for several hours (you will have to leave the home.) This is a more expensive option, but very effective. This is a method also used by a mold professional.
If any underlying smell or mold growth remains after trying these measures, it is important to call a mold professional to protect your family’s health and your home. This is something that can be caught at an early stage, and if it is dealt with properly will easily go away with the right measures. Just make sure to keep in eye our in moist areas of your home and know what you should be looking for.